- 2 LB chicken thighs or legs (4 chicken leg quarters)
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tablespoons Smoky Molasses Rub
- 1/2 cup Smoky Molasses BBQ Sauce (See Bottom for recipe)
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Place chicken, buttermilk and lemon juice in a bowl or zip top bag.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or as long as overnight.
- Preheat grill to 450° and indirect heat.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator, pat dry and season with Bourbon Molasses Rub.
- Place chicken on the grill skin side down and place a foil covered brick on top of chicken. Give the brick a gentle push to create more contact of the chicken to the grill.
- Grill chicken 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally and replacing the brick after turning.
- During the last 10 minutes, remove the bricks and brush the chicken with Bourbon Molasses BBQ sauce.
- Chicken is done when the internal temperature (themometer inserted in the thigh) reads 180 degrees.
- Remove from grill and allow chicken to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Smoky Molasses Rub BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Smoky Molasses Rub
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, add butter and onions and cook 2-3 minutes until onions begin to soften.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool and use immediately or refrigerate for up to a week.